I moved out of my homestay in Arequipa on Sunday. I realized that I was a lot more happy when I can make a huge mess of my hostel room without feeling embarrassed.
I’m not a very good homestay guest. I like to stay in my room when I get back. I like to shower twice in a day. I like to stay near the city center.
The other time I was in a homestay was in Japan.
All my homestays start off the same:
- Super excited before the homestay
- Awkward/shy introducing myself to host.
- Try not to be an obstacle to their lives
- Hosts are so hospitable I feel bad that I’m not as open and friendly
- Feel miserable not being able to live as I want
- Homestay ends
I do have a friend who did a homestay in France and loved her experience. She still contacts the host family and the little boys (now grown up). The difference between her and I is that she’s an extrovert who enjoys having active fun. My opinion of fun is the internet and books.