Blog for June 29, 2008. Sunday

It has been a rainy and cloudy day. The weather was very cool, we’ll need to wear our cardigans. Isn’t this supposed to be summer? Where’s the sun??

In the morning, one of the cats came into my room and took half my sleeping place. Oi!



I had trouble waking up at 7.00am when the sun was already shining on me. I kept saying to myself, “It’s only 6 back home.” In the end, I got up at 8am because it seemed like a good time to wake up.

Breakfast was pastry, salad, sausage and corn soup. The mom is on a diet. She’s so thin already in my opinion.

Later we went to Miyajidake shrine that is an hour away. I snapped a lot of photos during the ride. Hope I will be able to share it all with everyone.

The houses here are pretty. The shrine is some where in the “country” so there were a lots of paddy fields along the way. The hills here are cute too.

On the way to the shrine, we saw a plague and there was a picture of Pei Yong Jun on it. That’s the last thing I expect seeing in a Japanese shrine. Turns out, if you donate a really large sum of money, you can get your face on a it and they’ll put the thing at the shrine. Strange things happen.




The shrine is a magnificent wooden building. There was a HUGE coil of rope that reminded me of intestines.


This is a fortune telling machine. It was out of order when we were there. But I believe you put in money and they’ll drop you a random note with your fortune told on it.


There was some ceremony going on in the main shrine — a guy was wearing old costume, chanting and banging on his large drum. It seemed impolite to snap photos of him like a tourist so I didn’t take any.

There were other smaller shrines for different deities. I snapped a pic of the red tori. The gates leading to a shrine.


It was now the season of Japanese iris and another flowering plant. They had the most lovely bush of flowers and a field of iris.







After the temple, we had rice cake at one of the shops at the entrance of the shrine. It was my first time drinking konbucha. Seaweed tea, it looks innocent enough but when you drink it, it tastes like soup — not tea-ish at all. The rice cake was filled with red bean paste and it was yummy.

On our way home, we visited an air-conditioned farmers’ market. It looked more like Fairprice than a real market. The veg there were all sold out and we bought fish cake and some large orange.

I saw a Chinese bell flower there. kikyo!!


We returned home and rested. At 2pm we had cold somen and the soy sauce was very lovely!

At 4pm, K-kun’s tutor came and I hurriedly sent an email to my parents. I wanted to send mails to friends but I accidentally activated the Japanese typing stuff and couldn’t even type email addresses. >o<

Before dinner, we walked the dogs. I was in charged of the aged, cancer survivor Meri-chan. Meri is an old dog who (yes, “who” not “which”) wears a doggie diaper. Enough said.


It was raining slightly during the walk but I quite enjoyed it.

I saw the train I will be taking to school.


A fantastic garden


And lots of really Japanese stuff.

DAISO! A whole shop!!!


For dinner, we went to a sushi restaurant where they have food on belts turning round and round. I’ve found out that they drink miso soup right from the bowl (cool), that they have hot water at the table and you pour in your tea powder to make your own tea, and that sushi is damn nice!

See you in the next entry!

Join in the conversation

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s