After my last not-very-travel-related post, I have another post: Tips and tricks for buying a Xiaomi phone during the sale.
Xiaomi is a Chinese company that makes cheap and alright smartphones. The most basic model available in Singapore, Redmi 1S, is S$169, including shipping charges. This makes it a good enough price point for a backup smartphone, an entry-level phone for people who don’t need that much functionality.
Xiaomi market their phones very cleverly. They don’t sell their products in stores but sell them online during flash sales. These flash sales end really fast because a lot of people want the phone.
I’m writing this Xiaomi phone-buying guide because I’m a self-proclaimed expert at buying them.
Since March 2014, I’ve bought 13 sets of Xiaomi phones, including one Redmi Note just last week during its first round of sale. (I’ve failed during my first two times trying to buy the phones but afterwards it was smooth sailing.)
Here is the unofficial desperate person’s guide to buying a Xiaomi phone. (The official not-so-desperate buying guide is available on Xiaomi Singapore’s Facebook page.
Things to note about buying a Xiaomi phone:
- You can only buy one phone at a time.
- But you may be able to buy multiple accessories (earphones, power bank).
- Having the phone in your cart does not mean you have bought it, you still need to pay.
What to do a day before a Xiaomi sale
- Sign up for an account on mi.com.
- Link your credit card to your PayPal account.
- Save your Name, Address, Phone Number if your browser allows auto-fill in, even though there is a chance that this will not work.
- In case #3 doesn’t work, have your Name, Address, Phone Number typed out in Notepad so you can copy-and-paste fast.
What to do 30 minutes before a Xiaomi sale
- Sign in to your Xiaomi account half an hour before the sale starts. The login gets jammed nearer the sale.
- About 5 minutes before the sale start, open up TWO tabs of page of the phone you want to get. Example here is the Redmi Note page. Notice that the label says “Out of Stock” on the right.
- For the next 5 minutes, refresh the two tabs. Once the page is refreshed, refresh it again and again.
- When 11:59am comes, keep tabs on your tabs, the “Add to Cart” sign might appear. Then you’re off.
- Having your phone in the cart does not mean you have bought them. You’ll need to pay for it. Quickly pick the accessories you need.
- Fill up your details. Hopefully Google Autofill will do it for you or else you’ll need to copy-and-paste it.
- Next is the payment page, it’ll bring you to PayPal. Since you’ve linked a Credit Card (or anything), you’ll check out super fast.
- Voila, you’ve successfully purchased a Xiaomi.
- Do Step 1 to 7 again if there’s still stock and you need to buy another phone.
Voila, that’s how you buy a Xiaomi phone. The official guide is available on Xiaomi Singapore’s Facebook Page: