I’ve finally started writing that book that I’ve promised myself to write two years ago. Yes, A BOOK about my round-the-world travels. Last year, I did write something for Nanowrimo but everything seemed disjointed so I wasn’t willing to use that.
This time, I’m writing a book that’s part Travel Guide and part Travel Essay collection.
Why the shift? It’s for many reasons:
- A travel memoir requires skills. I’m still working on acquiring these skills so for now, I will do what I know best, which is #2
- I want everyone to realize their dream of leaving their job to travel. A how-to book better fits this.
- I know the steps to take for people achieve that dream
- I want to share my story of how I quit my job to travel and also why I didn’t travel indefinitely
If your dream is to travel around the world, I believe you can do it. I’ll help you along on the way.
“People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves they have the first secret of success.”
– Norman Vincent Peale
I have something scarier to admit. My deadline for finishing the book is August 26. By that date, my manuscript needs to be sent to the editor.
How you can help me
I have an outline of the book and I’m working on filling up the content. I did ask around for what people are interested in reading. But I haven’t gotten around asking YOU what you want to find out.
Working Title: Your Big Break: Leaving your job to travel and coming back
Working working title: Leave Your Job and Travel the World
- Who should read this book
- Why you shouldn’t quit your job to travel around the world
- Why you should quit your job to travel around the world
- What is this book about: Part travel guide and part essay collection
II. PRE-PLANNING: Solving How to convince yourself to take the leap
- Common roadblocks for not quitting your job to travel
- Money: Find out how much do you really need
- Family: How to convince relatives that it’s ok to take the plunge, especially in Asian countries where family unit is most important
- Career: How a career break can help in your career
- Language: How to conqeur the language barrier
- Yourself: Your biggest enemy in this journey
- Should you travel solo or with a buddy?
III. TRIP PLANNING
- It takes time: Why you need time to plan for your Big Trip.
- How to plan your route
- What sort of ticket to buy?
- Travel insurance
- What to bring
IV. ON THE ROAD
- Getting your documents in a place
- Trip planning while on the move
- Booking accommodation
- Money issues
- Staying safe
V. COMING BACK
- One thing they don’t tell you about returning from a long journey
- How to enjoy your time transiting from world traveller to a full timer
- Skills to highlight to impress the employers
- Unconventional jobs: Freelance while you’re looking for a full-time job
- Find another dream
- Closing thoughts
That’s the outline that I’m working on. But I need your help to see if there’s more things you want to know. I am still able to add them in before the book is finalized.
Most of the chapters would have stories of how I overcame the challenges, or just funny stories to go along with it. You can treat the book as a strategy guide or as a travel essay compilation.
If there’s anything you need to know, drop me a mail at yqtravelling[AT]gmail.com. If you have friends who are interested in quitting their job to travel, ask them to contact me too. Words of encouragement are welcomed too!
Your travel guide,
Learn how to quit your job to travel the world
Do you want to leave your job to travel the world? I’m writing a book to show you how exactly you can do it.