If you’ve guessed that I’m going to Terengganu, you are right. But I’m not talking about my Malaysia trip this time.
Ahem. I’ve been keeping this a secret for a long while and now I am finally able to announce this. DRUM ROLL.
I’m going around the world!
Yes, it’s too early for April’s Fools so this is the real deal. I will embark on a career break to do a round-the-world (RTW) trip.
It took me about two years before I got to this stage. I had the idea that I wanted to go on a RTW after reading Round the World with NT$100K and now, I am (sort of ready).
Why an RTW now?
You might be wondering why I choose to go now and not when I’m happily retired or more financially stable.
It’s for many reasons:
- I’m young. OK, I’m not 18 like the gap-yearers from the UK. I mean I am still able to carry a backpack and walk for a long stretch without feeling weak in the knees.
- I do not have serious commitments. I do not have a house mortgage, kids, husband/fiancé, ailing parents (choi!) or younger sibling still studying.
- I want to do this. I know it will cause me more heart pain 50 years down the road if I do not do it now.
- I know I can do it. I’ve read NT100,000 around the world and I now that it is possible to travel the world cheap.
I’ll share the my RTW route in a follow up post as well as detailed posts about why I choose the locations.
FAQ of my RTW
When I first announced RTW trip to my inner circle of friends, they had many questions. I’ve gathered them all into a Frequently Asked Questions segment.
- Are you going with your mom/friend/bodyguard?
No, this will be a solo trip. I can’t find someone with the time/budget/travel agenda as I do.
- Isn’t it dangerous for a woman to travel alone?
- How much are you prepared to spend? Who’s sponsoring you?
To be honest, I am not sure how much I will spend but I am budgeting S$10,000 for this trip (not including prepaid expenses such as air tickets).
- Which countries are you going?
I’ll have a separate post for that soon. Short answer: one part of South Asia, very small bit of Middle East and Africa, some Europe and lots of South America.
- What, you’re not going to Australia or most of Africa? That doesn’t count as a RTW, does it?
Yes, it’s still a RTW if I circle the globe. Plus, I don’t have the money to go to literally every country.
- Aren’t you scared?
A friend once said, “YQ’s not brave, she’s just not afraid of dying.” (Well, it sounded better in Chinese.) Yes, there have been times during the trip planning which I doubted myself but I know I must do it.
- Wait, what about your job?
Well, I’ve left my 3.5 year job as a tech journalist. Hopefully, I can find a new position when I come back or discover a new career path.