About Yun Qing and YQtravelling.com
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Lao-tzu
Hi, I’m Yun Qing, captain of YQtravelling.com. Welcome to the blog. It started out as the headquarters for my travel blog posts but since then it has expanded.
1. Who am I?
I have many labels that I stick on myself, the three most important ones are: Writer, Improviser and Storyteller.
- In my day job, I work on digital marketing projects for small businesses.
- I’ve previously been a corporate blogger for a Travel & Leisure company and a journalist in the tech business.
- I wrote a career break guide book Your Big Break.
- I improvise and perform with multiple teams including Singapore’s longest-running team The Modern Schemers and in the musical team at The Improv Company. Please come and watch my shows. (Read more about improv on YQtravelling.com.)
- I co-founded the Read-Aloud Sg Book Club with my friend Debbie to share the joy of reading out loud.
- I’m a contemporary storyteller. The biggest stage I’ve been on were at Singapore StorySlam Grand Slam 2016 and StoryFest Singapore.
I’m also an INFP. Figuring out my MBTI results has helped me figure out why I act in ways different from others. Why I’m pretty chilled most of the time but get fired up when it comes to my pet subjects.
2. What’s my story?
I realized my biggest dream when I was 26. That year, I quit my first job of 3.5 years to travel around the world for 130 days. It wasn’t easy but it wasn’t too difficult.
A problem I had after coming back was that I lost a goal to live for. I didn’t think I could find a dream to top “Travelled Around the World Solo”. I lived life “normally”–going to work, coming back and etc.
Then I found improvisation theatre and started getting involved in it. I found a bunch of people who also like to make up stories on the go. I’ve always thought it was just me and my overactive imagination.
3. What’s next?
Like most in their late-20s, I’m still trying to figure out what to do with the rest of my life. Maybe I need to take smaller steps at a time. For now, I’m very happy writing and doing improv.
My guide book for people who want to quit their job to travel is now available in ebook format.
Sign up for my newsletter if you want to get updates from the blog.
You can also keep in touch with me: